I am a firm believer in tea breaks and was inspired last night by The Hairy Bikers, of all people, to make these lemon and cardamom cookies. They are really easy.
- 115g butter, softened
- 75g caster sugar
- 1/2 lemon – zest only
- 125g plain flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 3tsp ground cardamom or 1 heaped tsp cardamom seeds, ground in a pestle and mortar
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas5. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest together in a large bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the flour, almonds and cardamom until the mixture is well combined and comes together to form a stiff dough.
- Split the dough into 12 equal pieces, roll into balls and place on baking tray.
- Press each cookie down with the bottom of a glass to flatten – you can make patterns if you are artistic (unlike me).
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until pale golden brown.
- Leave to cool then transfer to a wire rack. They will crisp up as they cool.
- The recipe does go on to say store the cookies in an airtight tin and eat within 7 days – not a problem in this house!!!!!!!!