Lemon scented spicy chicken broth
I discovered this recipe just before Christmas last year and it is a great winter warmer, perfect for a cold day in the garden – especially days like today when it is snowing!
I would suggest making double the amount of infused stock and freeze half. That way you can rustle up a second batch in super quick time – especially if you have leftover roast chicken!
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- 5cm peeled and chopped ginger root
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- Thinly pared zest of two lemons
- 1 long red chilli, seeded and chopped
- 200g leeks, washed and thinly sliced
- 200g carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 100g Arborio rice
- 225g boneless, skinless cooked chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the stock, ginger, garlic, lemon zest and chilli into a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Sweat the carrots and leeks in a little oil until the leeks have softened. Add the rice grains then strain over the infused stock.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.
- Add the chicken and the lemon juice, salt and pepper and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Check seasoning and eat!